Sunday, November 12, 2006
Light Cross Bike #26: Andrew's Budget Bianchi
Andrew sent me this bike for the lightweight gallery, a pretty cool Bianchi Cross Concept that he spent less than $400 to build!
Andrew said this:
"Hey man, love your site. Been meaning to send you my bike. Your site kinda inspired this project in a way:
I bought a used cross concept frame/fork over the summer, and after I saw your site a few months ago decided to see if this project would make your site. But the goal was always to do this bike on the cheap. So, I had to use the parts I had. Thankfully I had a bunch of stuff lying around.
* Ultegra wheels front and rear, with one mavic 21t cog and spacers on the rear cassette hub
* ITM stem
* Ritchey bio-max pro bars
* two right brake levers, a tektro put on the left and shimano on the right
* Ritchey cross crank, 48t chainring
* Shimano 105 bb
* Michelin mud tires
* crappy Bontrager carbon one bolt post
* old school Dia-compe canti's (gotta swap those yellow pads for green ones!)
* Shimano 520 pedals
* super old Selle Italia flight saddle (lightest thing I had around)
* SRP inline brake levers
The only things I bought for the bike were a cable hanger, the inline brake levers used off ebay, and the bar tape. so in terms of new expense, it was a $360 project. the result is just under 18 pounds on my bathroom scale.
I like it! I've liked the looks of those Bianchi Cross Concepts, something about the black and celeste thats sexy. Even better was the budget aspect of this ride, looks cool!