Thursday, November 19, 2009

Lightweight Cyclocross Bike: Mark's Salsa



I've been considering posting my bike for a while now, and Josh's recent post of his Salsa was the final push to get the proverbial ball rolling. I bought the frame and fork last year and moved parts over from my road bike (I decided a sweet cross rig that I would ride all year was better than two mediocre bikes, since I don't race on the road). I then upgraded parts throughout the cross season and this Spring. By far the best upgrades were the wheels. I would say it doesn't matter so much if you get tubulars, tubeless, or tubed, but definitely get the lightest wheels that will be durable for your weight. I noticed the reduced rotational weight right away, by far more than any other upgrade (most which you don't notice at all except in the pocketbook). The next upgrade from a performance level would be the TRP brakes. A distinct difference from my old Avid Shorty 6's. To make lighter I tried a USE seat post, but could never tighten it enough to avoid the dreaded prostate massage by the end of a race, and a Tune Gum Gum only held the front end stable for about 1/4 of a dirt road training ride.

Sorry, I don't have individual weights. I am able to run some lightweight components that others couldn't, because I only weight about 130lbs (I am hard on components, witness two cracked Zipp 303 rims, broken USE seatpost) Consider this bike did 16 cross races last year, plus year round training in this configuration without a part fail.

Frame: Salsa Chili con Crosso 44cm
Fork: Alpha Q CX20
Headset: Crank Brothers Iodine
Stem: Ritchey WCS 4Axis 100mm
Handlebars: FSA K-Force Carbon 42cm
Levers: SRAM Red
Brakes: TRP Euro Cross Magnesium
Front Derailleur: SRAM Red
Rear Derrailleur SRAM Red
Cranks: FSA K-Force Compact 46-34T
Cassette: Shimano Dura-Ace 12-25T
Chain: KMC X10SL-Ti
Chain Watcher: Redline
Seat: Specialized Toupe Team
Seat Post: Easton EC90
Seat Post Clamp: KCNC
Wheels: Edge 1.38 Tubular w/DT Swiss 240s hubs
Tires: Challenge Grifo 32 or Grifo XS white
Pedals: Crank Brothers Egg Beater 4ti
Extras: Extralite Ultrastar Expander with carbon cap, Deda bar tape, Polar wireless sensor



No comments: