Friday, October 05, 2012

how to build a bike: the planning



Whenever I buy a bike, I create a Google Spreadsheet to help organize the acquisition of parts and the cost of the build. I have a lot of spreadsheets created over the years. Not only does it help to organize a build, but it's also handy if three years down the road you want to sell the bike and see how much you've got into it.

In the first column I put this:


Bottom Bracket
Brake hanger
Brake levers
Brake Pads
Brakes
Cable Housing
Cassette
Chain
Cranks
Chainring
Chainring
Derlr (Front)
Derlr (Rear)
Fork
Frame
Handlebar
Handlebar tape
Headset
Pedals
Rack
Saddle
Seatpost
Shifters
Stem
Tires


The next column over goes the individual component names, sizes, colors etc. Next column is the price I paid for those individual components. Sometimes I'll even put links to bike parts that I might want to buy in the future. I highlight in orange the items that I still need to buy to finish the build.

Here's the spreadsheet for the current build I'm working on: link



No comments: